[openstack-dev] [glance] [kolla] [magnum] [nova] [neutron] Vancouver Summit Operations Containers Session

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Sat May 23 02:35:37 UTC 2015

Thanks Richard. I found the following questions in the etherpad:

> How do we give an environment on OpenStack resources to someone who just wants to
> use Docker ?

In that case use Magnum, and have the user start a Docker Swarm bay. Then they can point their docker client directly at the swarm master using the value in the api_address attribute in the bay. I can make a demo of this if there is interest. It can be of node count 1 if you only want a single server, and that can be later adjusted if a larger bay is desired.

The rationale here is that the user will end up with a Docker API and a place to point a native docker client. When the bay fills up, it can be easily scaled out without reconfiguring the client, or bouncing around between different hosts like you would need to do if you were using something like Docker Machine with no Swarm. If you care about container placement, you can tag your swarm nodes, and use scheduling hints to cause the desired placement among available hosts.

> Who manages the docker instance versus who manages the cloud infra?

Magnum bays are properly multi-tenant isolated, provided that your nova service produces instances that are properly isolated. If you use a nova virt driver that produces bare metal servers or virtual machines, then it will be. With Magnum Docker containers can be completely managed by the cloud user, and the nova instances can be managed by them as well, if desired. This is important in order to allow a full range of capabilities, as some things involve accessing the host. One example is how to debug problems. The ability to log into the nova instance and poke around with a full range of debugging tools is very handy.

Regards,

Adrian