[openstack-dev] [Nova][libvirt] Understand why we lookup libvirt domains by instance name

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at iweb.com
Thu May 21 23:49:15 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-21 4:18 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:

>> I guess it's for the reason I mentioned above:
>>
>> To not break all OpenStack installations on Earth running with default
>> config values.
>>

> So that's not breaking *upgrades* of all OpenStack installations with
> default config values, which is a slightly different thing.

Yes it will. Try to change instance_template_name and manage existing
instances. You won't be able.

The above scenario is the same as upgrading OpenStack Nova and having
instance_template_name changes its default value. Unless someone patches
Nova to use the instance UUID instead of its name to find it in libvirt.

--
Mathieu