[openstack-dev] [lbaas] [octavia] [barbican] Relationship between Octavia and Barbican and Octavia 1.0 questions

Adam Harwell adam.harwell at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu May 21 18:55:12 UTC 2015

Barbican is using SQLAlchemy, so I assume PostgreSQL is not a hard requirement. I know it deploys fine with SQLite for local development, and I am not aware of anything that would prevent it from running on MySQL. I am told it actually does use MySQL in devstack, so those docs may just be out of date.

--Adam

https://keybase.io/rm_you

From: Maish Saidel-Keesing <maishsk at maishsk.com<mailto:maishsk at maishsk.com>>
Date: Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 5:45 AM
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [lbaas] [octavia] [barbican] Relationship between Octavia and Barbican and Octavia 1.0 questions

Thanks Doug! PSB my comments within.

On 05/20/15 22:49, Doug Wiegley wrote:
Hi Maish,

Thanks for the feedback, some answers below.  Please also be aware of the lbaas use cases session tomorrow at 9am (yuck, I know), https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/YVR-neutron-lbaas-use-cases

Sorry but I will not be able to attend - I will be on a plane. I will look monitor the etherpad and pass my comments on.

On May 19, 2015, at 12:05 AM, Maish Saidel-Keesing <maishsk at maishsk.com<mailto:maishsk at maishsk.com>> wrote:

Hello all,

Going over today's presentation "Load Balancing as a Service, Kilo and Beyond"[1] (great presentation!!) - there are a few questions I have regarding the future release:

For Octavia 1.0:

1. Can someone explain to me how the flow would work for spinning up a new Amphora with regards to interaction between Neutron, LBaaS and Barbican?
Same question as well regarding how the standby is created and its relationship with Barbican.

The lbaas API runs inside neutron-server.  The general flow is:

- User interacts with neutron CLI/API or horizon (in liberty), and creates an LB.
- Lbaas plugin in neutron creates logical models, fetches cert data from barbican, and calls the backend lbaas driver.
From this I gather that there is a dependency on Barbican. From what I found - this thread looks like the HA modelling for barbican [1]. Seems to me to be quite solid.

There was one detail that aroused my attention. Barbican is using PostgreSQL as the backend database [2].
Is there any specific reason why PostgreSQL and not MySQL like the rest of OpenStack? Is there any tehnical limitation that specifically requires PostgreSQL?

*From an operators perspective inducing a new database technology (yet again) this will is not ideal to say the least.*
- The backend driver does what it needs to to instantiate the LB. Today this is a synchronous call that waits for the nova boot, but by Liberty, it will likely be an async call to the octavia controller to finish the job.

Once Octavia has control, it is doing:

- Get REST calls for objects,
- Talk to nova, spin up an amphora image,
- Talk to neutron, plumb in the networks,
- Send the amphora its config.

2. Will the orchestration (Heat) also be implemented when Octavia 1.0 is released or only further down the line?
If not what would you suggest be the way to orchestrate LBaaS until this is ready?

We need to talk to the Heat folks and coordinate this, which we are planning to do soon.
Great! It would be ideal that this is available from Day 1, otherwise there will be no real to utilize this in production use cases.

3. Is there some kind of hook into Security groups also planned for the Amphora to also protect the Load Balancer?

Not at present, but I recorded this in the feature list on the etherpad above.
Much obliged - this is a basic security requirement that should be in place to protect/shield the load balancers from unwanted traffic.

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack/2014-March/006102.html
[2] https://github.com/cloudkeep/barbican/wiki/Architecture

--
Best Regards,