[openstack-dev] rating talks (and keynotes) at the OpenStack summit

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Wed May 20 07:10:50 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 11:45 PM, Amrith Kumar <amrith at tesora.com> wrote:

>  I attended a talk by Mark Baker today (http://sched.co/2qbJ) entitled
> “The OpenStack Summit Talk Selection Process is Broken” and I think it was
> an informative session.
>

> The statistics presented indicated that just under a third of the talks
> submitted got accepted at this summit and that is a very healthy ratio and
> that’s a great thing.
>

> One thing that was brought up at the talk was that there was no formal
> feedback mechanism about talks and keynotes at Summit. Is there any way in
> which we can get a feedback mechanism for the talks and sessions at this
> summit up and running? It would be a valuable piece of information if we
> could get it.
>

> Any thoughts on how this can be done? There were 296 sessions; we
> obviously know the names of the sessions and the speakers. Does our
> scheduling mechanism have a ‘ratings module’ that can be turned on? Is
> there some other quick and dirty mechanism we can use?
>

> It would be awesome if we could quickly get something in place before we
> all leave Vancouver so we can gather this information and it could serve as
> a valuable form of input for future selection committees.
>

> Thanks,
>

> -amrith
>

> P.S. I gave a talk and if there’s no formal mechanism for feedback I
> welcome email on the subject. The talk was about Trove and replication with
> MySQL on Monday evening.

​Hi Amrith,

I think this is a great point, there's always informal conversations and
mixed reviews on talks, but it would be really great if we could formalize
this, and use it to aid in the process of choosing talks for the "next"
summit.

Of course the key is participation and some why of trying to make sure we
actually get info submitted by people that attended the talk.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea and certainly worth looking at possibly
doing for the summit in Tokyo.

Thanks,
John​