[openstack-dev] [nova][heat] sqlalchemy-migrate tool to alembic

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Fri May 15 17:13:39 UTC 2015

On 5/15/15 9:31 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> This seems more complicated than needed. If we just stop writing the
> sqlalchemy-migrate scripts and don't change them, then for 1 cycle we
> have to run both sets of migrations and after that we can just run
> alembic.
Then we have a forever-in-perpetuity dependency on SQLAlchemy-Migrate
which must be maintained forever for to maintain compatibility with all
new SQLAlchemy, oslo.db, etc. releases, despite it never being used for
anythine new, because it will be impossible to install an Openstack
application without running through the first set of migrate scripts first.

The SQLAlchemy-Migrate dependency must be dropped and the project has to
be EOL'ed at some point.   Leaving it in is definitely the more
complicated alternative.