[openstack-dev] [monasca] [java]

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri May 15 15:44:22 UTC 2015

On May 15, 2015, at 3:49 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> Dieterly, Deklan wrote:
>> We’ve seen that Swift has introduced components in Go. So, this looks like a precedent for allowing other languages where deemed appropriate. Before we spend many man-hours hacking on the Python components, it seems reasonable to determine if there really exists a reason to do so. I’m interested in soliciting any feedback from the community be it pleasant or unpleasant.
>
> Swift has not introduced components in Go. It is at the early stages of
> *exploring* the possibility of doing so, through a specific feature branch.
>
> The Technical Committee position has always been "python unless there is
> a compelling reason otherwise". Every language supported increases
> fragmentation of our community and increases the CI effort. The argument
> for adding a language has to be pretty compelling to counterbalance the
> damage it does to "OpenStack" as a development community.
>
> In Monasca's case, there is always the possibility to stay out of the
> "OpenStack" tent and stay in Java. There is the possibility to rewrite
> things in Python. And there is the possibility to convince the Technical
> Committee that (1) we want Monasca featureset in so badly we would add
> Java as a supported language just so that can happen and (2) Monasca
> featureset can't be written in Python.

Not to move this discussion off-list but I feel the need to at least point out a highly relevant summit session.

Is it time to have more than just Python in OpenStack?
https://libertydesignsummit.sched.org/event/6bb3f4fe34a4a0236266d99a2039c963

Everett