[openstack-dev] [devstack] What's required to accept a new distro rlease?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri May 15 10:41:47 UTC 2015

On 05/15/2015 01:13 AM, Tony Breeds wrote:
> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 01:35:06PM +1000, Ian Wienand wrote:
>> On 05/15/2015 01:05 PM, Tony Breeds wrote:
>>> I'm wondering what are the requirements for accepting something
>>> like:
>>
>>> -if [[ ! ${DISTRO} =~ (precise|trusty|7.0|wheezy|sid|testing|jessie|f20|f21|rhel7) ]]; then
>>> +if [[ ! ${DISTRO} =~ (precise|trusty|vivid|7.0|wheezy|sid|testing|jessie|f20|f21|rhel7) ]]; then
>>
>> Having a CI story makes it a no-brainer...  anyone working on getting
>> vivid nodes up in nodepool?  In the past we've generally accepted if
>> people have a convincing story that it works (i.e. they're using it
>> and tempest is working, etc).
>
> Thanks.  Apart from a strange prblem with rabbitmq taking too long to start it
> works fine for me.  I'll do a compleet tempest run and look into what would be
> involved with getting (and maintaining) vivid in nodepool [until wily is
> released]
>
>> Honestly I doubt 7.0|wheezy|sid|testing|jessie all work anyway -- they
>> don't have any CI (I know of) -- so we're probably overselling it
>> anyway.
>
> Could be.  If I find time after the summit I'll try them. 7.0/wheezy is
> oldstable now.  It'd be good to know that 8.0/jesse works.
>
>>> I figure there must be more to it as utopic was never added.
>>
>> I think that was approved, failed a test and was never re-merged [1].
>> So I guess it's more nobody cared?
>
> Ahh okay.
>
> Yours Tony.

Right, for non LTS ubuntu, if it seems to work, and is still within the
ubuntu support window for said distro, just submit the patches to enable
them.

We're not going to CI non LTC ubuntu regularly on devstack patches (at
least not pre-merge), however treating them as sort of class B support -
users come with patches and we merge them, is fine, especially as it
means the next LTS switch becomes a lot easier, and the deltas for base
functionality are typically pretty low.

If it was a completely different distro, like arch/gentoo, that becomes
substantially non trivial to put in and maintain the infrastructure for
that. So things like that have been rejected in the past on those grounds.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net