[openstack-dev] [nova] Can we bump MIN_LIBVIRT_VERSION to 1.2.2 in Liberty?

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Fri May 15 09:02:46 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 02:23:25PM -0500, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> The minimum required version of libvirt in the driver is 0.9.11 still [1].
> We've been gating against 1.2.2 in Ubuntu Trusty 14.04 since Juno.
>
> The libvirt distro support matrix is here: [2]
>
> Can we safely assume the people aren't going to be running Libvirt compute
> nodes on RHEL < 7.1 or Ubuntu Precise?

I do come across occasional bugs where people were using mixed
environments with Compute nodes on RHEL6. But that doesn't mean,
OpenStack Gate should continue to use ancient versions.

> Regarding RHEL, I think this is a safe bet because in Kilo nova dropped
> python 2.6 support and RHEL > 6 doesn't have py26 so you'd be in trouble
> running kilo+ nova on RHEL 6.x anyway.
>
> There are some workarounds in the code [4] I'd like to see removed by
> bumping the minimum required version.

It'd be helpful to see this change (increasing the min libvirt version)
in Gate, not least because it saves time spent on debugging issues that
were fixed in newer libvirt releases.

Speaking of versions, libvirt 1.2.2 was released on 02-MAR-2014 and QEMU
1.3.0 was released on 03-DEC-2012 -- both sound more than reasonable,
FWIW.

Maybe QEMU min version can be bumped too?

--
/kashyap