[openstack-dev] [monasca] [java]

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri May 15 08:49:09 UTC 2015

Dieterly, Deklan wrote:
> We’ve seen that Swift has introduced components in Go. So, this looks like a precedent for allowing other languages where deemed appropriate. Before we spend many man-hours hacking on the Python components, it seems reasonable to determine if there really exists a reason to do so. I’m interested in soliciting any feedback from the community be it pleasant or unpleasant.

Swift has not introduced components in Go. It is at the early stages of
*exploring* the possibility of doing so, through a specific feature branch.

The Technical Committee position has always been "python unless there is
a compelling reason otherwise". Every language supported increases
fragmentation of our community and increases the CI effort. The argument
for adding a language has to be pretty compelling to counterbalance the
damage it does to "OpenStack" as a development community.

In Monasca's case, there is always the possibility to stay out of the
"OpenStack" tent and stay in Java. There is the possibility to rewrite
things in Python. And there is the possibility to convince the Technical
Committee that (1) we want Monasca featureset in so badly we would add
Java as a supported language just so that can happen and (2) Monasca
featureset can't be written in Python.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)