[openstack-dev] [new][cognitive] Announcing Cognitive - a project to deliver Machine Learning as a Service for OpenStack

Debojyoti Dutta ddutta at gmail.com
Fri May 15 03:47:39 UTC 2015

Hi Salvatore

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Timing: Yes it is time to do this! The nature of applications running on
clouds is indeed changing.

Initial group: We asked around for folks interested and we got a lot more
people than we expected. The idea is to get something out there in a stack
forge project and build something good. This group already has people who
have built things like this already in the past. Hence confident about the
success.

Participation: We want this to be inclusive from scratch independent of who
is a PTL or a contributor or merely a curious individual to give us ideas
:) The community will get it right. Maybe I should have clarified that
these are the members interested in seeing this happen.

Wiki page: The wiki page will be ready in 1-2 days. Also we would like to
have a discussion during the summit to see what we should build in the
community. Would be delighted to get your thoughts.

Services: Some of the services this could provide:
* create experiments: define data sources, train models, then perform
classification, clustering, data cleaning etc.
* have experiment templates that can be reused
* have an editor (maybe a horizon plugin) to drag and drop the workflow and
generate an API that when called from an app would provide results
* ML primitives that could be targeted initially: 1) classification  2)
clustering 3) Anomaly detection

thx
debo

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Salvatore Orlando <sorlando at nicira.com>
wrote:

> On 15 May 2015 at 00:19, Debojyoti Dutta <ddutta at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> It is a great pleasure to announce the development of a new project
>> called Cognitive.  Cognitive provides Machine Learning [1] as a Service
>> that enables operators to offer next generation data science based services
>> on top of their OpenStack Clouds.
>>

> I was indeed wondering when "Machine Learning as a Service" would come
> up...
>

>> This project will begin as a StackForge project baed upon an empty
>> cookiecutter [2] repo.  The repos to work in are:
>> Server: https://github.com/stackforge/cognitive
>> Client: https://github.com/stackforge/python-cognitiveclient
>>
>> Please join us via iRC on #openstack-cognitive on freenode.
>>
>> We will be holding a doodle poll to select times for our first meeting
>> the week after summit.  This doodle poll will close May 24th and meeting
>> times will be announced on the mailing list at that time.  At our first IRC
>> meeting, we will draft additional core team members. We would like to
>> invite interested individuals to join this exciting new development effort!
>>

> From my little experience, "drafting" core members before even actually
> having a code base has drawbacks. Also, it seems the initial starting team
> is already large enough for ensuring support for 1 or 2 release cycle.
>

>> Please commit your schedule in the doodle poll here:
>> http://doodle.com/drrka5tgbwpbfbxy
>>
>> Initial core team: Steven Dake, Aparupa Das Gupa, Debo~ Dutta, Johnu
>> George,  Kyle Mestery, Sarvesh Ranjan, Ralf Rantzau, Komei Shimamura, Marc
>> Solanas, Manoj Sharma, Yathi Udupi, Kai Zhang.
>>

> Hey! What's the Neutron PTL doing there? Sorry we need his reviews we
> can't loan it to you!
>

>> A little bit about Cognitive:
>> Data driven applications on cloud infrastructure increasingly rely on
>> Machine Learning. Most data driven applications today use Machine Learning
>> (ML). This often requires application developers and data scientists to
>> write their own machine learning stack or deploy other packages to do any
>> kind of data science based applications. Data scientists also need to have
>> an easy way to rapidly experiment with data without having to write basic
>> infrastructure for data manipulations. Cognitive is a Machine Learning
>> service on top of OpenStack and provides machine learning based services to
>> tenants (API, workbench, compute service).
>>

> I wonder what kind of services you would offer; also you could have shared
> something about the architecture of this service. Is it providing a full
> machine learning stack, or just facilitating the use of existing one?
>
> But I see that there's a link to a wiki page below. This might have all
> the answers.
>

>> For information about blueprints check out:
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cognitive
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/python-cognitiveclient
>>
>> For more details, check out our Wiki:
> [...]

-Debo~