[openstack-dev] [new][cognitive] Announcing Cognitive - a project to deliver Machine Learning as a Service for OpenStack

Debojyoti Dutta ddutta at gmail.com
Thu May 14 22:19:14 UTC 2015

Hi!

It is a great pleasure to announce the development of a new project called
Cognitive.  Cognitive provides Machine Learning [1] as a Service that
enables operators to offer next generation data science based services on
top of their OpenStack Clouds. This project will begin as a StackForge
project baed upon an empty cookiecutter [2] repo.  The repos to work in are:
Server: https://github.com/stackforge/cognitive
Client: https://github.com/stackforge/python-cognitiveclient

Please join us via iRC on #openstack-cognitive on freenode.

We will be holding a doodle poll to select times for our first meeting the
week after summit.  This doodle poll will close May 24th and meeting times
will be announced on the mailing list at that time.  At our first IRC
meeting, we will draft additional core team members. We would like to
invite interested individuals to join this exciting new development effort!

Please commit your schedule in the doodle poll here:
http://doodle.com/drrka5tgbwpbfbxy

Initial core team: Steven Dake, Aparupa Das Gupa, Debo~ Dutta, Johnu
George,  Kyle Mestery, Sarvesh Ranjan, Ralf Rantzau, Komei Shimamura, Marc
Solanas, Manoj Sharma, Yathi Udupi, Kai Zhang.

A little bit about Cognitive:
Data driven applications on cloud infrastructure increasingly rely on
Machine Learning. Most data driven applications today use Machine Learning
(ML). This often requires application developers and data scientists to
write their own machine learning stack or deploy other packages to do any
kind of data science based applications. Data scientists also need to have
an easy way to rapidly experiment with data without having to write basic
infrastructure for data manipulations. Cognitive is a Machine Learning
service on top of OpenStack and provides machine learning based services to
tenants (API, workbench, compute service).

For information about blueprints check out:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cognitive
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/python-cognitiveclient

For more details, check out our Wiki:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Cognitive

Please join the awesome Cognitive team in designing a world class Machine
Learning as a Service solution.

We look forward to seeing you on IRC on #openstack-cognitive.

Regards,
Debo~ Dutta (on behalf of the initial team)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_learning
[2] https://github.com/openstack-dev/cookiecutter