[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] A way for Operators/Users to submit feature requests

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu May 14 20:45:46 UTC 2015

On 15 May 2015 at 08:34, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Maish,
>
> I would support this kind of thing for projects that wish to do it, but at
> the same time, I wouldn't want the TC to mandate all projects use this
> method of collecting feedback. Projects, IMHO, should be free to
> self-organize as they wish, including developing processes that make the
> most sense for the project team.

I think there is a balance to be struck. Where we tell users and
operators to learn something different for every project, that has
real impact. It makes it harder to engage with us, and it makes it
harder to move between projects for contributors.

Imagine if we had a spread of gerrit, github PR's, launchpad reviews,
gitlab PRs and bitbucket PR's - say nova, swift, barbican, keystone
and glance. That sounds silly because we all recognise the costs of
switching there: I think we need to recognise the costs for other
people even in things that as developers we don't interact with all
that much.

So I think we should explicitly leave room for experimentation and
divergence, but also encourage a single common path - don't be
different to be different, be difference because it is important in
this specific case.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>