[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] A way for Operators/Users to submit feature requests

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 20:39:58 UTC 2015

On May 14, 2015 12:50 PM, "Maish Saidel-Keesing" <maishsk at maishsk.com>
wrote:

> I just saw an email on the Operators list [1] that I think would allow a
much simpler process for the non-developer community to submit a feature
request. I understand that this was raised once upon a time [2] - at least
in part a while back.

> Rally have have the option to submit a feature request (a.k.a. backlog) -
which I think is straight forward and simple.

> I think this will be a good way for those who are not familiar with the
way a spec should be written, and honestly would not know how to write such
a spec for any of the projects, but have identified a missing feature or a
need for an improvement in one of the Projects.

> They only need to specify 3 small things (a sentence / two for each)
> 1. Use Case
> 2. Problem description
> 3. Possible solution

That is exactly what the backlog is supposed to be.

"These specifications have the problem description completed, but all other
sections are optional."

http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/backlog/

As I am sure there is room for improvement, why not propose a change to the
specs repo to improve the backlog spec process?

> I am not saying that each feature request should be implemented - or that
each possible solution is the best and only way to solve the problem. That
should be up to each and every project how this will be (or even if it
should be) implemented. How important it will be for them to implement this
feature and what priority this should receive. A developer then picks up
the request and turns it into a proper blueprint with proper actionable
items.

> Of course this has to be valid feature request, and not just someone
looking for support - how exactly this should be vetted, I have not thought
this through till the end. But I was looking to hear some feedback on the
idea of making this a way for all of the OpenStack projects to allow them
to collect actual feedback in a simple way.

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-operators/2015-May/006982.html
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-August/044057.html