[openstack-dev] [all] setting the clock to remove pypy testing

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu May 14 18:57:15 UTC 2015

On 15 May 2015 at 00:53, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
> We've disabled all the pypy tests across OpenStack because it was
> failing, and after 48hrs no one was actually working on any fixes. It's
> thus effectively just burning nodes for no value.
>
> It's not clear that there are any active contributors to OpenStack that
> find the pypy use case interesting enough to stay on top of it. A
> failure in this non main path blocks a ton of projects from landing any
> code.
>
> I would recommend we set the following remove criteria for June 1st - 2
> weeks out.
>
> * the pypy jobs all need to be passing again

What about just the end user ones. heatclient etc; no servers? [see below]

> * there are 2 "champions" that have come forward that will be active in
> #openstack-dev, #openstack-infra, and #openstack-qa that will commit to
> actively keeping an eye on such things.
>
> I feel like we need 2 champions because we need a hot spare (people go
> on vacation, have other distractions, having only 1 person able to do a
> thing means the responsibility is really thrust back onto -infra and -qa
> folks). I'd expect these champions to be the ones that fix the current
> pypy issues.

Agreed.

> I think the original theory of pypy is that we would rub cheetah blood
> on OpenStack and make it magically faster. But, as has been discussed in
> other threads:

Yeah, thats not a reason for pypy (today). Though - pypy is faster
than go head-to-head in my previous benchmarking work, so I'd be
interested in the details of the swift go comparison methodology, if
performance is the key thing being looked for. CSP as a way of writing
concurrent programs seems like a stronger argument to me...

Anyhow, I hope we do find two champions for the client libraries,
because I believe in enabling as many people as possible to use our
clouds; and just like we have php sdk, it would be great to know that
our python sdk's work on pypy too.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>