[openstack-dev] [all] setting the clock to remove pypy testing

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Thu May 14 18:22:54 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 14, 2015, at 05:53 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> We've disabled all the pypy tests across OpenStack because it was
> failing, and after 48hrs no one was actually working on any fixes. It's
> thus effectively just burning nodes for no value.
I think my change to upgrade virtualenv on our test nodes should've
fixed the PyPy jobs. Some spot checks earlier in the weeks seemed to
confirm that it had done so. (It is possible we have a stray old image
in a particular provider that needs updating though).

> It's not clear that there are any active contributors to OpenStack that
> find the pypy use case interesting enough to stay on top of it. A
> failure in this non main path blocks a ton of projects from landing any
> code.
>
> I would recommend we set the following remove criteria for June 1st - 2
> weeks out.
>
> * the pypy jobs all need to be passing again
> * there are 2 "champions" that have come forward that will be active in
> #openstack-dev, #openstack-infra, and #openstack-qa that will commit to
> actively keeping an eye on such things.

While I think I fixed it this time, I did so more because we needed
newer pip for other reasons and getting that required upgrading
virtualenv. I did not do it because I have a specific interest in PyPy.
I would likely be a bad champion for this cause so am definitely not
volunteering here :)

Clark