[openstack-dev] [monasca] [java]

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Thu May 14 16:34:55 UTC 2015

The open source version of java is much better off then it use to be, so I'd say its not out of the question any more. My preference is still python whenever possible since it tends to be much easer to debug/patch in the field. Performance critical stuff is another matter.

I would recommend very strongly considering it from the standpoint of what distro's are willing to support, and how much additional learning/operations work you are asking of ops to perform though. OpenStack already pushes an enormous amount of learning onto the ops folks. This will make or break the project.

yum list | grep -i influxdb | wc -l
0

hmm...
the rpm from the website looks very unusual... The distro folks wont support a package that looks like that. My gut reaction looking at it as an op is to wince and hope I don't have to install it. If I were, I'd have to carefully pull it apart to figure out how to support it long term. Definitely not a rpm -Uvh and forget.

Vertica doesn't look to be Open Source?

Kafka.... yet another messaging system... It might be needed, but its yet another thing for ops to figure out how to deal with. The quickstart says Kafka needs Zookeeper. Now yet another dependency for an op to deal with. What does ZooKeeper give that Pacemaker (already used in a lot of clouds) doesn't?

I might like to deploy Monasca here some day, but it looks like it will take a large amount of work for me to do so, relative to all the other OpenStack components I want to install, so I probably cant for a while because of some of these design decisions.

Thanks,
Kevin