[openstack-dev] [nova][all] Architecture Diagrams in ascii art?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu May 14 12:30:18 UTC 2015

On 05/13/2015 04:09 PM, Dolph Mathews wrote:
> Developers can handle ASCII. Developers can't handle steel blue versus
> cornflower blue.
>
> But seriously, graphics collaboratively authored by developers should,
> ideally, be editable via a text file. Otherwise they won't be maintained.

Like how all those code comments and inline docs are awesomely
maintained all over the place. :)

I'm only half trolling, but I think there is an important bit in this
thread.

There is concern in context switching tools to create a commit, that's a
valid concern, it adds friction. I can accept it, which is why for
simple things, I think it's fine.

There is concern about "I'm not good at art". Thus making an assumption
that it's not a useful skill in developing a source base, thus
optimizing the workflow to prevent it from being in the tree, thus
telling people that might be good in such thing, but less good in
writing unit tests, you're skills are not valued.

There are people that are better at writing coherent paragraphs
describing things, there are people that are better at writing reusable
code, there are people that are better at creating good tests (which
might be different than writing those tests), there are people that are
good at ascii art, there are people that are good creating other kinds
of diagrams.

We are a better project if we value all these contributions, and don't
declare as unvaluable the ones we personally are bad at. We all have
gaps in our skill base, that's being human. The point of developing in a
community is that we accept those gaps, and hopefully build a community
of developers that cover all the bases collaboratively.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net