[openstack-dev] [new][cloudpulse] Announcing a project to HealthCheck OpenStack deployments

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue May 12 19:50:45 UTC 2015

On 05/12/2015 02:16 PM, Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> Nagios/watever As A Service would actually be very useful I think.

I don't really understand why Nagios-as-a-Service would be useful to
operators. I mean, operators install their monitoring system of choice
via their configuration management tool of choice -- Ansible, SaltStack,
Puppet, Chef, etc.

Frankly, so do tenants. Tenants install software on their images using
configuration management tools like mentioned above... I don't see a
reason to have Nagios-as-a-Service for tenants either.

> Setting up a monitoring server is a fair amount of work.

Not really. It's typically a simple apt-get install nagios-nrpe-plugins
on client VMs along with an apt-get install nagios-server on one or more
monitoring system VMs. Again, have configuration management systems
inject whatever check scripts you want paired with the ones that already
come with nagios-nrpe-plugins package.

 > If "Cloud
> Apps" downloaded from an OpenStack Catalog had a Monitoring Heat
> resource built in, that would register the launched app with a
> multitenant aware Cloud Monitoring Service, the user would only have
> to launch an app, and then go into the Dashboard and associate some
> kind of alerting policy with the registered checks. Say, email this
> address when things break. That would be awesome. :)

I guess I just don't see this being in the realm of OpenStack. Or at
least, not more than something like a Murano application manifest which
is almost what you are describing above.

I don't see the need for this service, sorry. Not everything needs to be
re-invented as a RESTful Python service endpoint...

Best,
-jay

From: Jay Pipes [jaypipes at gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 10:48
AM To: