[openstack-dev] [nova][all] Architecture Diagrams in ascii art?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue May 12 17:04:11 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Jeremy Stanley's message of 2015-05-12 08:35:40 -0700:
> One up side to keeping simple diagrams as ASCII art (and converting
> to something more palatable via a Sphinx plugin) is that people
> browsing the source code can just read it--this is the same reason
> we have a preference for reStructuredText over something more
> presentation-oriented like SGML or Tex--without having to perform
> additional steps to render it into some other format first or pull
> out a Web browser and look for the rendered versions online.

It's a nice up side. However, as others have pointed out, it's only
capable of displaying the most basic pieces of the architecture.

For higher level views with more components, I don't think ASCII art
can provide enough bandwidth to help as much as a vector diagram.