[openstack-dev] [nova][all] Architecture Diagrams in ascii art?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue May 12 12:25:51 UTC 2015

Sean Dague wrote:
> They can be modified if you provide source files, or use a source
> oriented format like SVG, or ISO standard ODG (used by OpenOffice /
> LibreOffice). There is a reason the "spider" diagram has ended up in
> every single OpenStack presentation I've seen for the last 2 years.

And there is also a reason the "spider" diagram was never updated (or
fixed for accuracy, for that matter).

I'm not saying we should use ASCII art, I'm saying we should use a
source-oriented format so that we reduce the likeliness of stale
information. I was mostly reacting to Matt's mention of "real image
files" (taking as an example the pictures in
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/QA/AuthInterface which are PNGs without
any source).

If only one person can easily update a picture, it *will* go stale. And
I think I prefer "ugly" to "plain wrong". With source-oriented formats
you can take advantage of more dimensions without sacrificing the
ability to update it.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)