[openstack-dev] [chef][infra] #openstack-meeting-5 proposal to open up

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue May 12 11:56:02 UTC 2015

JJ Asghar wrote:
> We have our official meeting time at 1500UTC/1600GMTorBST on Monday and
> it seems all the rooms are taken.  Is it possible to open up
> #openstack-meeting-5?
>
> I asked in #openstack-infra and fungi suggested I ask the mailing list.

The idea behind having a limited supply of #openstack-meeting rooms is
to encourage meetings to spread out across the weekly time slots, so
that it's generally more unlikely that two meetings would conflict. If
we added a meeting room every time a conflict exists, we would have 50
of them so that every team can meet on Tuesday at 15:00 UTC, effectively
putting any person with a cross-project focus at a disadvantage.

Now, of course we grow and when there is too much contention we need to
add new meeting rooms. I'm just not sure we are at one of those points
yet. Looking at the agenda, only 4 time slots in the week currently make
full usage of all 4 meeting rooms (including the 15:00 UTC on Monday
slot you're interested in).

That said, I'd consider that OpenStack projects should have priority in
the #openstack-meeting rooms. The Monday 15:00 UTC slot is blocked by
two non-OpenStack project teams: Satori and Akanda. If the choice is
between creating another meeting channel and asking non-OpenStack
projects to move sometimes/somewhere else, I think at this time the
second option makes most sense.

Satori, in particular, never met once in the last 7 months. I think we
can safely retire their meeting slot and give it to you (in
#openstack-meeting-alt)

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)