[openstack-dev] [all] Replace mysql-python with mysqlclient

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 06:00:23 UTC 2015

>Arguably if we're actually seeing performance issues then it's not a
distraction but rather a real problem that needs fixing.

The important take-away from the thread is that we aren't anywhere near
hitting python limits though. Our main bottleneck is due to the fact that
we are serializing all DB requests in a DB-heavy codebase.

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 9:18 PM, Chris Friesen <chris.friesen at windriver.com>
wrote:

> On 05/11/2015 08:22 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
>
>> c) Many OpenStack services, including Nova, Cinder, and Neutron, when
>> looked at
>> from a thousand-foot level, are little more than glue code that pipes out
>> to a
>> shell to execute system commands (sorry, but it's true).
>>

> No apologies necessary. :)
>
>  So, bottom line for me: focus on the things that will have the biggest
>> impact to
>> long-term cost reduction of our codebase.
>>

> +1
>
>  So, to me, the highest priority performance and scale fixes actually have
>> to do
>> with the simplification of our subsystems and architecture, not with
>> whether we
>> use mysql-python, PyMySQL, Python vs. Scala vs. Rust, or any other
>> distractions.
>>

> Arguably if we're actually seeing performance issues then it's not a
> distraction but rather a real problem that needs fixing.
>
> But I agree that we shouldn't be trying to optimize the performance pf
> code that isn't causing problems.
>
> Chris

Kevin Benton