[openstack-dev] [Ironic] how about those alternating meeting times?

Ruby Loo rlooyahoo at gmail.com
Mon May 11 23:38:44 UTC 2015

On 11 May 2015 at 18:39, Devananda van der Veen <devananda.vdv at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Lucas inspired me to take a look at the raw numbers ... so I hacked up a
> little python to digest all our meeting logs since we made the switch to
> alternating times.
>
> in particular, I'd like to point out the number of meetings with less than
> half of our core review team present, ie, where we didn't have quorum to
> make any decisions. There were 6 on Tuesdays (two thirds of all Tuesday
> meetings), but only 1 on Monday (it was the "openstack vacation" week).
>
> A few stats below, hackish code here:
> http://paste.openstack.org/show/220234/
>
> # of meetings by day:
>   Monday: 11
>   Tuesday: 9
>
> Total lines in IRC during the meetings by day:
>   Monday: 3793
>   Tuesday: 2475
>
> Unique attendees per day:
>   Monday: total: 54 - cores: 9
>   Tuesday: total: 32 - cores: 5

Thanks for bringing this up and getting those numbers. The reason for the
alternating times was to (among other things?) "accommodate our
contributors in EMEA better" [1]. Maybe the question is better posed to
those folks -- was it useful or not? And if not, why? Because the date/time
still didn't work, or because not enough (or the right persons) weren't
there so their issues of interest weren't discussed, or they wouldn't have
attended anyway, or ? And if it was useful, for how many was it useful?
(Devananda's poll will capture some of that info.)

I don't attend the Tuesday meetings but I also don't recall any
decisions/discussions at those meetings that made me think that I disagreed
strongly or couldn't provide feedback after the meeting so I am happy to
have them continue if it is useful to others/the project :-) (Or maybe
that's cuz there wasn't quorum to make decisions.)

--ruby

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-November/050838.html