[openstack-dev] [nova][all] Architecture Diagrams in ascii art?

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Mon May 11 22:36:53 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 02:57:48PM -0700, Joe Gordon wrote:
> When learning about how a project works one of the first things I look for
> is a brief architecture description along with a diagram. For most
> OpenStack projects, all I can find is a bunch of random third party slides
> and diagrams.
>
> Most Individual OpenStack projects have either no architecture diagram or
> ascii art. Searching for 'OpenStack X architecture' where X is any of the
> OpenStack projects turns up pretty sad results. For example heat [0] an
> Keystone [1] have no diagram. Nova on the other hand does have a diagram,
> but its ascii art [2]. I don't think ascii art makes for great user facing
> documentation (for any kind of user).
>
> So how can we do better then ascii art architecture diagrams?
>
> [0] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/heat/architecture.html
> [1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/keystone/architecture.html
> [2] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/devref/architecture.html

Couldn't we just use real image files to do this. IIRC, gerrit supports
displaying image files which are included in a commit. For example, I've been
planning to copy these images:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/QA/AuthInterface

into the tempest docs for some time. They just need to be updated a bit to
reflect some recent changes.

The only downside I see is that it makes editing more difficult, I guess that's
really the tradeoff.

-Matt Treinish