[openstack-dev] [requirements] global-requirements not co-installable

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sat May 9 20:21:55 UTC 2015

On 10 May 2015 at 08:03, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> On 2015-05-10 07:49:25 +1200 (+1200), Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]
>> We should do the following immediately we create a virtualenv anywhere
>> in our infra:
>> get-pip.py
>> pip install -U wheel setuptools
> [...]
>
> So... we already do install latest pip and setuptools in the system
> context on our systems. We're switching to the current version of
> virtualenv "real soon now" so that anything using tox gets a more
> recent bundled pip version by default in their envs. But regardless,
> if you want a particular repo's tox-based jobs to use the most
> recent version of pip (regardless of the vintage of virtualenv we're
> providing at any point in time), that repo's tox.ini needs to
> expressly upgrade pip before installing other things. Unless we
> switch to always installing whatever the latest virtualenv release
> is, there's not much other way to accomplish it.

Donald Stufft says that virtualenv releases 1:1 with pip releases, so
we can skip the pip step once we have latest virtualenv installed. We
should still add wheel, and we need to add setuptools as well since
that, while bundled, doesn't trigger virtualenv releases (yet).

If the virtualenv creation is owned by e.g. tox, then we need to put
this in all our tox.ini's, which is going to a drag - perhaps we
should have it be in a helper (pbr or os-testr perhaps) and call into
them from our tox.inis, so we can centrally manage this.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist