[openstack-dev] [requirements] global-requirements not co-installable

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat May 9 11:42:45 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-09 06:46:59 +1200 (+1200), Robert Collins wrote:
> As I read it, we've got some tooling that isn't PEP-440 compatible
> (https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0440/#compatible-release defines
> ~=) and as such we had to rollback the intended use of that. As long
> as we identify and fix those tools, we should be fine. Did anyone
> involved with that situation create a bug we can use to track this? I
> don't think it has anything to do with the choice of cap-or-not.

We had (have) virtualenv versions in use in automation which bundle
a pip and setuptools too old to support this... lingering fallout
from the scramble around pinning these bits of the toolchain at the
end of last year while we tried to keep everything running. Clark
has proposed https://review.openstack.org/181558 which we can try
and then quickly revert if too much explodes.

However it's worth noting, as soon as we start adding ~= into
requirements files we're basically saying we no longer support
installing any of those packages with pip<6 or setuptools<8 (or with
virtualenv<12 without an implicit upgrade step in the resulting
env). The supporting versions of these tools/libs aren't even 6
months old yet.
--
Jeremy Stanley