[openstack-dev] [puppet] Proposal to configure Oslo libraries

Colleen Murphy colleen at gazlene.net
Fri May 8 20:09:55 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 12:50 PM, Mathieu Gagné <mgagne at iweb.com> wrote:

> On 2015-05-07 4:19 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> >
> > Proposals
> > =========
> >
> > #1 Creating puppet-oslo
> > ... and having oslo::messaging::rabbitmq, oslo::messaging::qpid, ...,
> > oslo::logging, etc.
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/stackforge/puppet-openstacklib/refs/
> > This module will be used only to configure actual Oslo libraries when we
> > deploy OpenStack. To me, this solution is really consistent with how
> > OpenStack works today and is scalable as soon we contribute Oslo
> > configuration changes in this module.
> >
> > #2 Using puppet-openstacklib
> > ... and having openstacklib::oslo::messaging::(...)
> > A good thing is our modules already use openstacklib.
> > But openstacklib does not configure OpenStack now, it creates some
> > common defines & classes that are consumed in other modules.
> >

> I prefer #1 due to oslo configs being specific to OpenStack versions.
>
> The goal of openstacklib is to (hopefully) be OpenStack version agnostic
> and be used only for code common across all *our* modules.
>
> That's why I suggest going with solution #1, unless someone comes with a
> solution to support multiple OpenStack versions in openstacklib without
> the use of stable branches.

puppet-openstacklib already has stable branches:
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/stackforge/puppet-openstacklib/refs/

I was not aware of any assumption that openstacklib would work for
different versions of our modules. I think this would be a difficult goal
to achieve. For example, the provider code in puppet-keystone is tightly
coupled with the code in puppet-openstacklib. If making puppet-openstacklib
version-agnostic is important (and I do think there would be value in it)
then maybe we should consider ripping out the provider backend code from
puppet-openstacklib and creating a puppet-openstackclient module.

Colleen