[openstack-dev] [TripleO] puppet pacemaker thoughts... and an idea

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Fri May 8 16:33:45 UTC 2015

On 05/08/2015 05:41 PM, James Slagle wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Giulio Fidente <gfidente at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> EnablePacemaker is set to 'false' by default. IMO it should be opt-in:
>>>

>>> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/commit/?id=1f7426a014f0f83ace4d2b3531014e22f7778b4d
>>

>> sure that param is false by default, but one can enable it and deploy with
>> pacemaker on single node, and in fact many people do this for dev purposes
>>
>> before that change, we were even running CI on single node with pacemaker so
>> as a matter of fact, one could get rid of the conditionals in the manifest
>> today by just assuming there will be pacemaker
>
> This is the direction I thought we were moving. When you deploy a
> single controller, it is an HA cluster of 1. As opposed to just not
> using pacemaker entirely. This is the model we did previously for HA
> and I thought it worked well in that it got everyone testing and using
> the same code path.

indeed this holds true

today if EnablePacemaker is true and ControllerCount is 1 you do get a
working overcloud, with Pacemaker and 1 controller

the very same overcloud config applies to ControllerCount >= 3

> I thought the EnablePacemaker parameter was more or less a temporary
> thing to get us over the initial disruption of moving things over to
> pacemaker.

not really, purpose of that boolean is to support the deployment of an
overcloud without using Pacemaker

this is possible today as well, but only with ControllerCount 1

probably, in the future, we will work on the non-pacemaker scenario with
ControllerCount >= 3 as well, in which case a split of the manifests
would really be useful

my only concerns on the topics are:

1. where and when to move the parts which are shared amongst the manifests
2. if it is urgent or not to do the split today given the shared parts
would be duplicated
--
Giulio Fidente
GPG KEY: 08D733BA