[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Liberty Summit Topics etherpad

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Fri May 8 08:42:09 UTC 2015

On 04/28/2015 09:43 PM, James Slagle wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 3:11 PM, James Slagle <james.slagle at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've created an etherpad for for TripleO to track the topics we'd like
>> to discuss at the Liberty Summit:
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-liberty-proposed-sessions
>>
>> It's also linked from the main Design Summit Planning wiki page:
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Design_Summit/Planning
>>
>> If you have something you'd like to propose to discuss, please add it
>> to the etherpad.
>
> TripleO has 2 fishbowl sessions and 2 working sessions at the Summit,
> as well as an all day contributor's meetup on Friday.  I'd like to
> finalize the topics for the sessions over the next day or 2. We can
> continue to refine as needed, but I'd like to get the summaries out
> there so that folks can start planning what sessions they want to
> attend.
>
> My thinking right now is that we devote one fishbowl session to a
> discussion around tripleo-heat-templates. Particularly around refining
> the interfaces and what we can further do to enable Docker integration
> for a containerized Overcloud. We could also discuss making the
> template implementations more composable at the individual service
> level, and plans around deprecating the elements based templates.

I won't be at the summit but the idea of making the params 'more
composable' by distributing them on a per-service basis seems very
interesting to me

I am not sure to which extent these would need to be matched by a
per-service manifest; sounds like something which could be done by steps

> For the second fishbowl session, we could make it testing/CI focused.
> We could devote some time to talking about diskimage-builder testing,
> and TripleO CI as it relates to quintupleo, the puppet modules, and
> possibly using the infra clouds. Depending on time and interest, we
> could also discuss if and how we might move forward with a devtest
> alternative that was more production oriented.

For the CI topic I would also think about making a fedora job use the
puppet-stack-config element to configure the seed!

> For the working sessions, I don't think we need as much of a defined
> summary. But I suspect we could pick a few things to focus on at each
> session: tripleo-heat-templates, HA, network architecture,
> diskimage-builder testing.
>
> Let me know any feedback/opinions, and I'll get the schedule updated
> on sched.org this week. Thanks.

I added a line to the etherpad, not something I can show with code, only
a thought:

How about 'changing' our approach for the Undercloud turning it from a
separate entity into just a 'peculiar' configuration of the Overcloud
(maybe with a different base image)? Sure there is some complexity but
we won't have to rethink about HA for the undercloud for example nor to
duplicate the templates/manifests for it.

--
Giulio Fidente
GPG KEY: 08D733BA