[openstack-dev] [swift] Go! Swift!

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu May 7 22:48:32 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Chuck Thier's message of 2015-05-07 13:10:13 -0700:
> I think most are missing the point a bit.  The question that should really
> be asked is, what is right for Swift to continue to scale.  Since the
> inception of Openstack, Swift has had to solve for problems of scale that
> generally are not shared with the rest of Openstack.
>
> When we first set out to write Swift, we had set, what we thought at the
> time were pretty lofty goals for ourselves:
>
> * 100 Billion objects
> * 100 Petabytes of data
> * 100 K requests/second
> * 100 Gb/s throughput
>
> We started with Python figuring that when we hit major bottlenecks, we
> would look at other options.  We have been surprised at how far we have
> been able to push Python and have met most if not all of the goals above.
>
> As we look toward the future, we realize that we are now looking for how we
> will support trillions of objects, 100's of petabytes to exabytes of data,
> etc.  We feel that we have finally hit that point that we need more than
> incremental improvements, and that we are running out of incremental
> improvements that can be made with Python.
>
> What started as a simple experiment by Mike Barton, has turned into quite a
> significant improvement in performance and builds a base that can be built
> off of for future improvements.  This wasn't built because of it being
> "shiny" but out of direct need, and is currently being tested with great
> results on production workloads.
>
> I applaud the team that has worked on this at Rackspace, and hope the
> community can look at the current needs of Swift, and the merits of the
> work that has been accomplished, rather than the politics of "shiny".

Chuck, much respect to you and the team for everything accomplished.

I'm still very curious to hear if anybody has been willing to try to
make Swift work on pypy. This is pretty much why pypy exists, and making
pypy work for Swift could mean some really nice residual benefits to the
other projects that haven't gone as far as to experiment with a compiled
language like Go yet. There's also the other benefit that pypy would
gain some eyeballs and improvements that we could feed back into it.