[openstack-dev] [nova] Deleting 'default' security group for deleted tenant with nova-net

Chris St. Pierre chris.a.st.pierre at gmail.com
Thu May 7 18:11:27 UTC 2015

Jinkies, that sounds like *work*. Got any links to docs I can start diving
into? In particular, keystone audit events and anything that might be handy
about the solution proposal you mention. Keystone is mostly foreign
territory to me so some learning will be in order.

Thanks!

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Morgan Fainberg <morgan.fainberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> So there is no rule saying you can't ask keystone. However, we do emit
> events (audit, needs to be configured) to the message bus when tenants (or
> in v3 parlance, projects) are deleted. This allows nova to mark things in a
> way to cleanup / do direct cleanup.
>
> There have been a few conversations about this, but we haven't made
> significant progress (as far as I know) on this topic.
>
> The best solution proposal (iirc) was that we need to creat a listener or
> similar that the other services could hook a callback to that will do the
> cleanup directly rather than require blocking the main API for the cleanup.
>
> Keystone is open to these improvements and ideas. It just doesn't scale of
> every action from every service has to ask keystone if <thing> still
> exists. Let's make sure we don't start using a pattern that will cause
> significant issues down the road.
>
> --Morgan
>
> Sent via mobile
>
> On May 7, 2015, at 09:37, Chris St. Pierre <chris.a.st.pierre at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> This bug recently came to my attention:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1241587
>
> I've reopened it, because it is an actual problem, especially for people
> using nova-network and Rally, which creates and deletes tons of tenants.
>
> The obvious simple solution is to allow deletion of the 'default' security
> group if it is assigned to a tenant that doesn't exist, but I wasn't sure
> what the most acceptable way to do that within Nova would be. Is it
> acceptable to perform a call to the Keystone API to check for the tenant?
> Or is there another, better way?
>
> Alternatively, is there a better way to tackle the problem altogether?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Chris St. Pierre

Chris St. Pierre