[openstack-dev] [Fuel][Plugin] Contributor license agreement for fuel plugin code?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed May 6 11:58:15 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-06 11:02:42 +0000 (+0000), Emma Gordon (projectcalico.org) wrote:
> If fuel plugin code is checked into a stackforge repository (as
> suggested in the fuel plugin wiki
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Fuel/Plugins#Repo), who owns that
> code?

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that the individual
copyright holders mentioned in comments at the tops of various
files, listed in an AUTHORS file (if included) and indicated within
the repository's Git commit history retain rights over their
contributions in a project relying on the Apache License (or those
rights may belong to their individual respective employers in a
work-for-hire situation as well).

> Is there a contributor license agreement to sign? (For
> example, contributors to OpenStack would sign this
> https://review.openstack.org/static/cla.html)

If Fuel is planning to apply for inclusion in OpenStack, then it may
make sense to get all current and former contributors to its source
repositories to agree to the OpenStack Individual Contributor
License Agreement. Note that it does _not_ change the ownership of
the software (copyrights), it's intended to simply reinforce the
OpenStack Foundation's ability to continue to redistribute the
software under the Apache License by affirming that the terms of the
license are applied correctly and intentionally.

More detailed questions are probably best posed to the
legal-discuss at lists.openstack.org mailing list, or to your own
private legal representation.
--
Jeremy Stanley