[openstack-dev] [neutron] How should edge services APIs integrate into Neutron?

Paul Michali pc at michali.net
Tue May 5 20:08:14 UTC 2015

There's been talk in VPN land about new services, like BGP VPN and DM VPN.
I suspect there are similar things in other Advanced Services. I talked to
Salvatore today, and he suggested starting a ML thread on this...

Can someone elaborate on how we should integrate these API extensions into
Neutron, both today, and in the future, assuming the proposal that
Salvatore has is adopted?

I could see two cases. The first, and simplest, is when a feature has an
entirely new API that doesn't leverage off of an existing API.

The other case would be when the feature's API would dovetail into the
existing service API. For example, one may use the existing vpn_service API
to create the service, but then create BGP VPN or DM VPN connections for
that service, instead of the IPSec connections we have today.

If there are examples already of how to extend an existing API extension
that would help in understanding how to do this.

I see that there are RESOURCE_ATTRIBUTE_MAPs with the information on the
API, and I see that the plugin has a supported_extension_aliases, but
beyond that, I'm not really sure how it all hooks up, and how to extend an
existing extension.

I'm assuming that the python-neutronclient would also need to be updated.

So... the intent here is to start some discussion on how we do this, such
that we have some things figured out before the summit and can save some
time.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Michali (pc_m)