[openstack-dev] [all] cross project communication: periodic developer newsletter?

Tue May 5 18:19:08 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-05-05 at 10:39 -0700, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> [...]
> >> produced elsewhere. It takes a very special kind of individual to write
> >> such content: the person has to be highly technical, able to tackle any
> >> topic, and totally connected with the OpenStack development community.
> >> That person has to be cross-project and ideally have already-built
> >> legitimacy.
> >
> > Here, you're being overly restrictive.  Lwn.net isn't staffed by top
> > level kernel maintainers (although it does solicit the occasional
> > article from them).  It's staffed by people who gained credibility via
> > their insightful reporting rather than by their contributions.  I see no
> > reason why the same model wouldn't work for OpenStack.
> >
> > There is one technical difference: in the kernel, you can get all the
> > information from the linux-kernel (and other mailing list) firehose if
> > you're skilled enough to extract it.  With OpenStack, openstack-dev
> > isn't enough so you have to do other stuff as well, but that's more or
> > less equivalent to additional research.
> >
> >>   It's basically the kind of profile every OpenStack company
> >> is struggling and fighting to hire. And that rare person should not
> >> really want to spend that much time developing (or become CTO of a
> >> startup) but prefer to write technical articles about what happens in
> >> OpenStack development. I'm not sure such a person exists. And a
> >> newsletter actually takes more than one such person, because it's a lot
> >> of work (even if not weekly).
> >
> > That's a bit pessimistic: followed to it's logical conclusion it would
> > say that lwn.net can't exist either ... which is a bit of a
> > contradiction.
> >
> >> So as much as I'd like this to happen, I'm not convinced it's worth
> >> getting excited unless we have clear indication that we would have
> >> people willing and able to pull it off. The matter of who pays the bill
> >> is secondary -- I just don't think the profile exists.
> >>
> >> For the matter, I tried to push such an idea in the past and couldn't
> >> find anyone to fit the rare profile I think is needed to succeed. All
> >> the people I could think of had other more interesting things to do. I
> >> don't think things changed -- but I'd love to be proven wrong.
> >
> > Um, I assume you've thought of this already, but have you tried asking
> > lwn.net?  As you say above, they already fit the profile.  Whether they
> > have the bandwidth is another matter, but I believe their Chief Editor
> > (Jon Corbet) may welcome a broadening of the funding base, particularly
> > if the OpenStack foundation were offering seed funding for the
> > endeavour.
>
> +1 to that, although lwn.net is partially subscriber only (yes I'm a
> subscriber); so if say we had a 'openstack section' there (just like
> there is a kernel section, or a security section, or a distributions
> section...) how would that work? It'd be neat to have what we do on
> lwn.net vs having a openstack clone/similar thing to lwn.net (because
> IMHO we already make ourselves 'special' enough...).

These are just details that would need to be ironed out.  Lwn is a
business as well as a service, so it has to get paid somehow.
Subscriptions are how it currently does this.  However, the Linux
Foundation does sponsor lwn.net to produce some content (the Linux
Weather Forecast: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/lwf) which
is then freely posted.

Assuming you agree with the general principle that lwn.net could do the
job, OpenStack could choose to follow the LF model (pay for some of the
most relevant general stuff, but leave LWN to pursue subscribers who
want the details) or it could choose to develop its own model for
working with them.

James