[openstack-dev] [tc] Who is allowed to vote for TC candidates

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue May 5 13:01:56 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Adam Lawson's message of 2015-05-04 10:25:10 -0700:
> So Thierry I agree. Developers are required to make it happen. I would say
> however that acknowledging the importance of developer contributions and
> selecting leadership from the development community is really half the
> battle as it's pretty rare to see project teams led and governed by only
> developers. I think addressing the inclusion of architects/operators/admins
> within this committee is a hugely positive development.

The community of contributors is led by members, not all of whom
are "developers" -- some are writers, translators, designers, or
fill other important roles. The characteristic that cuts across all
of those roles is that they are *contributors*.

If "architects/operators/admins" or anyone else want to become
contributors, there is already a path to accomplish that by interacting
with the existing teams, and their insight and input would be very
welcome. But there is no shortcut to becoming a leader in this
community. Everyone has to earn their stripes.

I've asked a couple of times in this thread what benefit you see
in having someone from outside of the contributor community on the
TC, but I haven't seen an answer. Is there something specific we
could be addressing beyond the question of representation?

Doug