[openstack-dev] [PKG-Openstack-devel][horizon][xstatic] XStatic-Angular-Bootstrap in violation of the MIT/Expat license (forwarded from: python-xstatic-angular-bootstrap_0.11.0.2-1_amd64.changes REJECTED)

Ian Cordasco ian.cordasco at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon May 4 22:15:37 UTC 2015

On 5/3/15, 11:46, "Thomas Goirand" <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>According to Paul Tagliamonte, who is from the Debian FTP master team
>(which peer-reviews NEW packages in Debian before they reach the
>archive) python-xstatic-angular-bootstrap cannot be uploaded as-is to
>Debian because it doesn't include an Expat LICENSE file, which is in
>direct violation of the license itself (ie: anything which is shipped
>using the MIT / Expat license *must* include the said license). Below is
>a copy of reply to me, after the package was rejected.
>
>Maxime, since you're the maintainer of this xstatic package, could you
>please include the Expat (aka: MIT) license inside
>xstatic-angular-bootstrap, then retag and re-release the package?
>
>Also, when this is done, I would strongly suggest fixing the
>global-requirements.txt to force using the correct package, then remove
>license infringing version from PyPi. This wont change anything for me
>as long as there's a new package which fixes the licensing issue, but
>legally, I don't think it's right to leave downloadable what has already
>been released.

For what it’s worth Thomas and Maxime, removing the old versions from PyPI
is likely to be a bad idea. An increasing number of deployers have stopped
relying on system packages and install either from source or from PyPI. If
they’re creating frozen lists of dependencies, you *will* break them.
While I agree that those distributions are violating the license, I think
it is a mistake that no one believes is malicious and which no one will
actually chase after you for. If you’re very concerned about it, you can
create updated releases of all of those packages (for PyPI). If you have
version 1.2.3, you can release version 1.2.3.post1 to indicate that the
source code itself didn’t exactly change but some metadata was added or
fixed. Pip should, then if I recall correctly, select 1.2.3.post1 over
1.2.3.

Cheers,
Ian