[openstack-dev] [neutron][lbaas][octavia] what are the main differences between the two

Doug Wiegley dougwig at parksidesoftware.com
Mon May 4 21:21:30 UTC 2015

lbaas v1:

This is the original Neutron LBaaS, and what you see in Horizon or in the neutron CLI as “lb-*”.  It has an haproxy backend, and a few vendors supporting it. Feature-wise, it’s basically a byte pump.

lbaas v2:

This is the “new” Neutron LBaaS, and is in the neutron CLI as “lbaas-*” (it’s not yet in Horizon.)  It first shipped in Kilo. It re-organizes the objects, and adds TLS termination support, and has L7 plus other new goodies planned in Liberty. It similarly has an haproxy reference backend with a few vendors supporting it.

octavia:

Think of this as a service vm framework that is specific to lbaas, to implement lbaas via nova VMs instead of “lbaas agents". It is expected to be the reference backend implementation for neutron lbaasv2 in liberty. It could also be used as its own front-end, and/or given drivers to be a load balancing framework completely outside neutron/nova, though that is not the present direction of development.

Thanks,
doug