[openstack-dev] [tc] Who is allowed to vote for TC candidates

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon May 4 16:25:08 UTC 2015

Maish Saidel-Keesing wrote:
> A three point triangle. I like the idea! Anita I assume that you are
> talking about the TC[3], the board [1] and the user committee [2].
>
> I honestly do not see this at the moment as an equally weighted triangle.
> Should they be? Perhaps not, maybe yes.
>
> It could be that my view of things is skew, but here it is.
>
> The way to get something into OpenStack is through code.
> Who submits the code? Developers.
> Who approves code? Reviewers and core
> On top of that you have the PTL
> Above the PTL - you have the TC. They decide what is added into
> OpenStack and (are supposed) drive overall direction.
>
> These are the people that have actionable influence into what goes into
> the products.
>
> AFAIK neither the Foundation - nor the User committee have any
> actionable influence into what goes into the products, what items are
> prioritized and what is dropped.

That's simply acknowledging the mechanics of an open source / open
innovation project like OpenStack. Having the Board or the User
committee decide "what goes into the products, what items are
prioritized and what is dropped" won't make it magically happen. At the
end of the day, you need a contributor willing to write, review,
prioritize that code.

The contributors to an open source project ultimately make things go in
the open source project. They can be (and should be) influenced by
outside input, especially users of the project. Companies can influence
what is being worked on by funding developers to work on specific
things. But in the end, it all boils down to contributors that get the
work done and therefore make it going in one direction or another.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)