[openstack-dev] [swift] Go! Swift!

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon May 4 10:17:04 UTC 2015

Monty Taylor wrote:

> I'm excited to see where this discussion goes.
>
> If we decide that a portion of swift being in Go (or C++ or Rust or
> nim) is a good idea, (just as we've decided that devstack being in
> shell and portions of horizon and tuskar being in Javascript is a good
> idea) I'd like to caution people from thinking that must necessarily
> mean that our general policy of "python" is dead. The stance has
> always been "python unless there is a compelling reason otherwise". It
> sounds like there may be a compelling reason otherwise here.
>
> Also:
>
> http://mcfunley.com/choose-boring-technology

I'm pretty much with Monty on this one. There was (and still is)
community benefits in sharing the same language and development culture.
One of the reasons that people that worked on one OpenStack project
continue to work on OpenStack (but on another project) is because we
share so much (language, values, CI...) between projects.

Now it's always been a trade-off -- "unless there is a compelling reason
otherwise". JavaScript is for example already heavily used in OpenStack
GUI development. We just need to make sure the trade-off is worth it.
That the technical benefit is compelling enough to outweigh the
community / network drawbacks or the fragmentation risks.

That said, of all the languages we could add, I think Go is one that
makes the most sense community-wise (due to its extensive use in the
container world).

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)