[openstack-dev] [Elections] TC Election analysis

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Sun May 3 19:35:11 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Maish Saidel-Keesing <maishsk at maishsk.com
> > wrote:
>
>> On 04/30/15 21:48, Joe Gordon wrote:
>>
>>> As others have done for past elections, here is a brief breakdown of the
>>> TC election ballot data.
>>>
>>> analysis: http://paste.openstack.org/show/213831
>>> source code: http://paste.openstack.org/show/213830
>>>
>>> <snip>

>  Thanks Joe for the analysis. It is quite interesting. Another thing that
>> I find interesting is the low participation rate.
>>
>> Out of 2169 eligible voters, 548 participated - that is 25.26%.
>>

> According to [0] there were 369 ”Regular” contributors in 2014, and in
> Kilo there were only 748 contributors with 5 or more patches out of
> the 1886 contributors [1]. So measuring participation from eligible votes
> is a misleading. Well over half of the eligible voters have only
> contributed a few patches, and we had more voters participate then we have
> 'regular' contributors.  So I think our turnout is actually really good.
>
> [0] https://www.openstack.org/assets/reports/osf-annual-report-2014.pdf
> [1] http://stackalytics.com/?release=kilo&metric=commits
>

>> Comparing to previous elections
>> Oct. 2014 - 1893 eligible voters, 506 participated - 26.73%
>> Apr. 2014 - 1510 eligible voters, 408 participated - 29.66%
>>
>> I am wondering why the participation level is so low. This is really one
>> of the few opportunities a contributor has to define the direction of
>> OpenStack as a whole. And yet it goes down each election.

I would also hypothesize that contributors who are eligible but less
regular in their contribution may not pay as much attention (or even be
subscribed? -- would be an interesting metric to see I imagine) to the
mailing list where a majority of the promotion and election activity occur.

Where do all code contributors visit? Gerrit. If we were able to put up
Clippy on Gerrit for April Fools, maybe we could put something up to raise
awareness during the next election cycle? This could include linking people
to the election wiki page and reminding eligible folks to ensure they have
their correct e-mail address in Gerrit in order to receive a ballot.

--
Cody A.W. Somerville