[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [tc] Who is allowed to vote for TC candidates

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Fri May 1 22:08:38 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Adam Lawson <alawson at aqorn.com> wrote:

> I purposely didn't email the general mailing list since I didn't want to
> cross-post, hard to have these discussions across verticals and choosing
> one list = hearing one community - those subscribed to the developer
> mailing list.
>
> So I'm not assuming anything, it seems some are suggesting that Operators
> get into code review to quantify their role as an engaged Operator. Is that
> a correct statement? Just want to make sure I'm hearing correctly. I try to
> avoid absolutes but personally speaking for the record, I don't believe the
> answer lies with asking Operators to become code reviewers on top of
> everthing else they're doing in order for them to have a voice in the TC
> elections. If code reviews are being suggested (again, assuming the
> assumption is correct for the sake of making my point), technical
> contribution extends far beyond uploading and reviewing code. This
> alternate means to gain ATC status seems like a potential candidate for
> those who want to review code but not for those who are day-to-day
> operators engaging with the community.

Specification review is a far cry from code review. Specification review is
really about direction / impact. Operator imput on specifications can be
extremely valuable (e.g. "This doesn't meet any of our needs, but it's
close. Here are some suggestions to make it meet more needs/closer to
real-world").

It is one of the ways operators can be involved and get ATC status. It may
not be the only way that operators should be involved.

--Morgan