[openstack-dev] [all][heat] pbr 0.11 released. Must read if you encounter pbr.version.SemanticVersion(XXXX), but target version ... errors

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri May 1 19:06:36 UTC 2015

On 2 May 2015 at 04:17, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Robert Collins's message of 2015-05-01 10:59:49 +1200:
>> pbr 0.11 is finally released (now that Kilo is out :).
>>
>> This brings in more support to ensure that our version numbers are
>> monotonically increasing.
>>
>> Mostly this should be unintrusive (but please do read the docs -
>> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/pbr/#version).

> It would be good to make sure this is in the pbr documentation, too.

It is, at the link I gave. If its not clear enough, please do help me
understand how, since having clear docs is kindof important :)

I'd also like to do a little postmortem - here's the fallout I've
heard of from pbr's 0.11 release (which is > 1yr of inventory, so
kindof a big deal).

Two number of projects had backslid since the audit I did last year on
their setup.cfg's: tempest and rally. These have all been trivially
fixed by removal. tempest's caused issues in many different projects
test runs though, which let to some confused reports - generally any
patch hitting that issue should be fine on a recheck.
http://logs.openstack.org/85/179285/1/check/check-tempest-dsvm-full/1c5fec4/logs/devstacklog.txt.gz#_2015-04-30_23_47_08_277
and the following error show this.

Nova had a unit test that mocked out only part of the API it was
using, and when the internals of pbr changed, the mocking stopped
being effective. It was using VersionInfo.version_string, but mocking
VersionInfo.version. https://review.openstack.org/179307 and the
associated backports fix this. I think we should move the vendor
functionality into pbr itself (you'd give pbr a callback to get the
vendor info) rather than having multiple copies of it one per server,
all potentially different.

Lastly, and still unresolved, heat's contrib plugin versions
(introduced in March) are deliberately different to the git history,
and thats a use case that pbr hasn't ever supported (multiple version
timelines in one git tree). https://review.openstack.org/#/c/162311/
introduced the versions. https://bugs.launchpad.net/heat/+bug/1450733
is the bug for this.

-Rob