[openstack-dev] [all][oslo.db] Repeatable Read considered harmful

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Tue Mar 31 17:24:47 UTC 2015

On 31 March 2015 at 17:22, Mike Bayer <mbayer at redhat.com> wrote:

> Eugene Nikanorov <enikanorov at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Matthew,
> >
> > I'll add just 2c:
> >
> > We've tried to move from repeatable-read to read committed in Neutron
> project.
> > This change actually has caused multiple deadlocks during regular
> tempest test run.
> > That is a known problem (the issue with eventlet and currect mysql
> client library),
> > but anyway, at least one major openstack project is not ready to move to
> read-committed.
> >
> > Also, particular transaction isolation level's performance is highly
> affected by DB usage pattern.
> > Is there any research of how read-committed affects performance of
> openstack projects?
>
> So I would add that I think the altering of transaction isolation level
> should be done on a per-method basis; that is, methods that definitely need
> the effects of a certain isolation level should run it locally, so that the
> change can be made safely without having to deal with moving the entire
> application space over to a new mode of operation. I’ve added methods to
> SQLAlchemy specifically to make this achievable at the ORM level in
> response
> to [1], documented at [2].

I totally agree that the transaction isolation level should be set on a
per-method basis, because ultimately it's just impossible to define a rule
which will fit all cases.
Considering repeatable read a "harmful" mode is, in my opinion, an
exaggerated generalization. But I guess that "considered harmful" has
nowadays become just a trendy and catchy mailing list subject.
Anyway, a  wilful relaxation of transaction isolation is something that
should be handled carefully - and this is why explicitly setting the
desired isolation level for a transaction represent the optimal solution.
As Eugene said, there are examples where globally lowering it triggers more
issues, and not just because of the infamous eventlet issue.

Said that, I agree that the dichotomy between mysql and postgres' default
isolation methods has always been annoying for me as for every transaction
we write or review we have to be careful about thinking whether it will be
safe both in read committed and repeatable read modes. From what I gather,
the changes in sqlalchemy mentioned by Mike will also enable us to set an
application-specific isolation default, and therefore the applications will
not be dependent anymore on the backend default.

Salvatore