[openstack-dev] [nova] Host maintenance notification

Tim Gao gtt116 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 12:20:48 UTC 2015

Hi, Balázs

I have the same scenario with you. AFAIK, notifications in Nova does not
support some thing like service enable/disable action. These APIs do
nothing more than saving new value to database. But I believe supporting
these kind of notifications will not be very complicated.

To the second question, exactly yes. You can get inspiration from OpenStack
Ceilometer, stacktach. These project have already listened on OpenStack
message bus to get notifications, then do some awesome job. You can find
some thing interesting from here (
http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/content/section_telemetry-notifications.html
)

> Hi,
>
> I have the following scenario. I have an application consisting of
> multiple VMs on different compute hosts. The admin puts one of the hosts
> into maintenance mode (nova-manage service disable ...) because there will
> be some maintenance activity on that host in the near future. Is there a
> way to  get a notification from Nova when a host is put into maintenance
> mode?
> If it is not the case today would the nova community support such an
> addition to Nova?
>
> As a subsequent question is there a way for an external system to listen
> to such a notification published on the message bus?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Cheers,
> Gibi

Best regards,