[openstack-dev] [infra] What do people think of YAPF (like gofmt, for python)?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Mar 26 22:46:30 UTC 2015

On 27 March 2015 at 09:14, Ryan Brown <rybrown at redhat.com> wrote:

> Ooof, that's huge. If we can configure it to be less aggressive I love
> the *idea* of having everything formatted semantically, but that's a
> pretty major burden for everyone involved.

It's huge today. It wouldn't be if we did it :).

I suggest that given the other aspects of our code review system, we
might treat this like translations as a long term thing - that is
setup a job somewhere to run the autoformatter against trunk and
submit the result as a patchset.

To get over the initial hump, I'd have a human break the patch up into
per-file changes or some such.

A variation would be to have a config file saying which files are
covered, and slowly dial that up, one file at a time.

Once everything is covered, and we're dealing with commits that change
things async (via the job above), then we can talk about how to help
developers submit code using it in the first place.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist