[openstack-dev] [Heat] Decoupling Heat integration tests from Heat tree

Ryan Brown rybrown at redhat.com
Thu Mar 26 20:07:55 UTC 2015

On 03/26/2015 10:38 AM, Pavlo Shchelokovskyy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> following IRC discussion here is a summary of what I propose can be
> done in this regard, in the order of increased decoupling:
>
> 1) make a separate requirements.txt for integration tests and modify
> the tox job to use it. The code of these tests is pretty much
> decoupled already, not using any modules from the main heat tree. The
> actual dependencies are mostly api clients and test framework. Making
> this happen should decrease the time needed to setup the tox env and
> thus speed up the test run somewhat.

+1 for this

> 2) provide separate distutils' setup.py/setup.cfg to ease packaging
> and installing this test suit to run it against an already deployed
> cloud (especially scenario tests seem to be valuable in this
> regard).

I quite like this idea, the value here is pretty apparent & in the
spirit of the separate requirements.txt.

> 3) move the integration tests to a separate repo and use it as git
> submodule in the main tree. The main reasons not to do it as far as
> I've collected are not being able to provide code change and test in
> the same (or dependent) commits, and lesser reviewers' attention to a
> separate repo.

It's also important for local development workflow to have an up-to-date
version of the project's tests and having them shuffled out to a
submodule would make it exceptionally easy to forget "submodule pull"
and end up missing tests. This is, of course, in addition to your (all
valid) reasons for avoiding submodules.

--
Ryan Brown / Software Engineer, Openstack / Red Hat, Inc.