[openstack-dev] [puppet] Release management and bug triage

Sebastien Badia seb at sebian.fr
Thu Mar 26 17:08:08 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 01:46:06PM (-0700), Colleen Murphy wrote:
>> Cons:
>> * I think some people don't go on Launchpad because there is so many
>> projects (one per module), so they did not subscribe emails or don't
>> visit the page very often.
>> * Each time we create a module (it's not every day, I would say each
>> time a new OpenStack project is started), we have to repeat the process
>> for a new launchpad project.
>>
>I don't think this is that big a hurdle, and it doesn't happen often.
>

>> "Having everything in a single project"
>> Pro:
>> * Release management could be simpler
>>
>What would be simpler? We'd still need to track releases of each module, as
>not all of them always get released at the same time.
>
>> * A single view for all the bugs in Puppet modules
>>
>You can view all the bugs in the openstack-puppet-modules top-level project
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-puppet-modules
>
>> * Maybe a bad idea, but we can use tags to track puppet modules issues
>> (ie: puppet-openstacklib whould be openstacklib)
>>
>> Con:
>> * The solution does not scale much, it depends again at how we decide to
>> make bug triage and release management;
>>
>> Also, feel free to add more concerns or feedback to this discussion.
>>
>I don't have strong feelings either way, but I'm not sure I see the current
>way as broken enough to change. There is a top-level project for these
>subprojects (https://launchpad.net/openstack-puppet-modules). You can
>create a bug for one project and then add other projects to the bug, so
>having one ticket that links to multiple modules is possible.

Completely agree, the actual layout is almost flexible to ensure that everyone
can find the way to subscribe about what he wants.

About lp script, a short search on github (bug mgmt, merged changes):

  - https://github.com/openstack-infra/release-tools
  - https://github.com/markmc/openstack-lp-scripts
  - https://github.com/dolph/launchpad

But we wait the publishing of Mathieu scripts :)

Seb

--
Sebastien Badia