[openstack-dev] Beyond IRC (was Re: Cinder Third-Party CI: what next?)

Kevin L. Mitchell kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com
Wed Mar 25 16:14:08 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-03-24 at 21:21 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > > ·        A separate mailing list for project review requests
> >
> > I'm skeptical about this being effective: just another source of
> > incoming email that needs to be filtered out (at which point a mailman
> > topic would have the same effect).
>
> Yes, email notifications scale poorly for really active reviewers.
> Between gerrit and launchpad, there is already a lot of notification
> email being filtered out of inboxes.

I actually do rely on email notifications for review duties.  I use
filtering that moves the messages into dedicated folders per repository,
and I use threading in those folders.  When I see a review merge (or
when I see it abandoned), I select the whole thread and delete it;
otherwise I follow changes made to a review and determine whether I need
to re-review it based on whether votes to that point have been +'s or
-'s.  I even subscribe to a couple of projects and check out new reviews
submitted there.  This is actually partly to blame for me being such a
prolific reviewer in nova and novaclient :)
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com>
Rackspace