[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Neutron extenstions

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 21:36:02 UTC 2015

Hi Doug,
On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 10:01:54 -0600
Doug Wiegley <dougwig at parksidesoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> First I’m seeing these, but I don’t see that they’re required on
> input, unless I’m mis-reading those reviews.  Additional of new
> output fields to a json object, or adding optional inputs, is not
> generally considered to be backwards incompatible behavior in an API.
> Does OpenStack have a stricter standard on that?

So speaking from a Nova (and more general) API point of view where
we're probably a bit longer along the extensions/microversioning path,
I think even with backwards compatibility it is still an issue. For
example, without some sort of co-operative and strong input validation
are you going to detect when someone sends a new parameter that is
simply mispelled and all the other extensions assume that someone will
look after it and return an appropriate rather than let it just through.

Over time we've found a few examples even in our api request samples
typos (which feeds into the docs) which are not detected just because
of this situation.

Chris