[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Meters vs. Metrics

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Tue Mar 24 19:19:48 UTC 2015

> Can we keep it consistent ? The APIs have meter in them, so do the CLIs so we should really stick to that convention.
agreed, i just wanted to mention the inconsistencies as they exist today.

to play devil's advocate, the reason i lean more to using 'metric' is that it's arguably more widely used (see: documentation for most tsdb, measurements data, CADF, etc...). if we were ever to make a change, Gnocchi would be a good place. that said, if everyone is acclimated to 'meters' we might as well just keep it.

i cut this out original email and forgot to add it back in but can you create a bug in openstack-manual to track this as well.

cheers,
gord

From: Tim.Bell at cern.ch
To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 18:43:46 +0000
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Meters vs. Metrics

Can we keep it consistent ? The APIs have meter in them, so do the CLIs so we should really stick to that convention.

If Gnocchi is using metrics, I feel it should change to use meters or a V3 API proposed that changes it all.

Projects and Tenants still cause such massive confusion for the end user, let’s not do it again. Saying they are equivalent does not
 stop the confusion and support effort when people say that the form allows them to create a project but they want a tenant.

Tim